This is my version of the Chinese restaurant staple and it needs to be prepared just before serving so it will take you away from your guests for a bit. I usually use sirloin or skirt steaks and this will need to be cut into very thin strips. Put the steaks in the freezer for half an hour to firm up so that it is easier to thinly slice them. You could save time by making up the sauce ahead of time and refrigerate in a jar.
- 400g sirloin or skirt steaks, cut into very thin strips
- 1 medium carrot, cut into matchsticks
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup sunflower oil for frying
- 3 tablespoons Nonya Secrets sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon Nonya Secrets Surani sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 stalks lemongrass, finely chopped
- 3 gloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 2 stalks spring onion, finely chopped
To make up the sauce mixture, heat 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil in a small saucepan and fry the finely chopped lemongrass for a few minutes until fragrant, then add the finely chopped garlic for a further minute until it starts to colour. Add the Sweet Chilli sauce, Surani sauce, light soy and water and bring to the boil. Set aside.
Place the thinly sliced beef into a bowl and add the beaten egg, white pepper and oyster sauce. Mix well and then coat the strips with corn starch, making sure each individual strip is well coated.
When you are ready to serve, heat a bowl of sunflower oil until smoking point and fry the beef a few strips at a time so that they crisp up quickly. Using a slotted spoon transfer and drain onto kitchen paper until all the beef strips are fried.
To combine the beef with the sauce, use a clean frying pan with high sides or a wok so that it is easier to toss. Heat the wok on a medium heat and add the sticky sauce until it starts to bubble. Add the carrots and let them cook in the hot sauce for 30 seconds and then mix in the crispy beef. Mix well and transfer onto serving dish. Garnish with the chopped spring onions, red chillies and sprinkle with toasted white sesame seeds.