Nonya Laksa is a spicy noodle dish served with a broth enriched with dried shrimps and coconut cream. You can add a combination of the following ingredients: prawns, shredded chicken, boiled egg, fried tofu and bean sprouts. Those of you who want it hotter can add extra chillies or chilli oil.
- 1 Jar of Nonya Secrets Sambal Curry Mix
- 400 ml Coconut milk
- 1 L Fresh chicken stock or fish stock (or water)
- 400g Dried Singapore rice vermicelli noodle (thick)
- 100g Dried prawns, soaked in boiling water and then ground
- 350g Fresh beansprouts, blanched for 30 seconds in boiling water, then drained
- 250g Cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 450g Fresh tiger prawns, optional
- 100g Fried tofu, optional
- 100g Fishball or fishcake (optional)
- 2 Hardboiled eggs (optional)
- ½ Cucumber, finely shredded
- 1 Red chilli, finely sliced
- A few sprigs of laksa leaves (if available)
Combine the Nonya Sambal Curry Mix, coconut milk, water or chicken stock and ground dried shrimps and bring to the boil. Then keep it on a low simmer.
Prepare noodles by soaking or boiling until softened, then drained thoroughly.
Prepare toppings of beansprouts, prawns, chicken, tofu, hard boiled eggs (cut in half) cucumber, red chillies and laksa leaves.
To assemble, divide the noodles, beansprouts and all the toppings into a deep soup bowl for individual servings.
Ladle the hot broth into the bowl and serve garnished with cucumber, chillies and laksa leaves.